Welcome to The Newport, Wormit & Forgan Archive
This site brings together some of the historical information about Newport-on-Tay, Wormit and Forgan in Fife, Scotland, which exists largely on paper and makes it searchable.
It does not have descriptive articles about specific topics - for that you have to look in the published books, or on other linked websites. Neither does it have the personal anecdotes and old photos which make a local history come alive - they are much better catered for on the Old Newport on Tay Facebook page. Rather it is a collection of the raw data, the nuts and bolts of history, which can be used to piece together some of Newport, Wormit & Forgan's past.
It can also be used as a starting point to trace the history of the houses: much of the information has been gathered together and can be seen by looking up a specific address, either old or new, although it must be said that this is very much "work in progress". On many of the entries in the Directories, Census and Valuation Rolls, following the link Location will lead on to a further page with information about the property concerned.
Of the many sources available, to date we have:
- Directories: the Newport & Wormit section of the Dundee Directories, and the Newport, Wormit & Forgan sections of national directories (e.g. Slater, Macdonald). All known directories from 1825 - 1974.
- Census 1841, 1851, 1861, 1871, 1881, 1891 and 1901. (The 1911 is available but is copyright and cannot be included here.)
- a list of house names and old addresses together with their present-day locations
- a list of old street names with their present-day equivalents
- a list of present-day streets and addresses which links to information about the properties
- Valuation Rolls, 1855 - 1922
- Registers of Voters, 1833 - 1900
- names on the War Memorials
- A library with links to published histories and descriptions of the parish; plus pages missing from the internet copy of Neish's History of Newport...; the constitution of the Comerton Home; several articles on the History of Newport; and more.
- Maps: including - parish boundary, 19th century feuing areas, maps from Dundee Directories, and links to maps on other sites.
- A list of local men who signed up as Special Constables, 1914 - 1920
- Notes on the Newport Town Council Minutes 1897 - 1962, with gaps
- Shareholders of the Wormit Electric Company, 1923 - 1929
Some older material:
- the Hearth Tax list of 1692 - 1695
- the Old Parochial Registers of Baptisms, Forgan parish, 1695 - 1854
- the Old Parochial Registers of Marriages, Forgan parish, 1703 - 1855
- Mortcloth Payments, 1695 - 1835 (for records of deaths)
- a link to an index of Births 1855 - 1874, & Marriages 1855 - 1875
You can begin to trace the history of your house, if it was built before 1967:
- if you know the name of a former head of the household, search the Directories or the Census.
- if you know its current address, search the present-day addresses
- if you know a house name or an old (pre-1964 address), search the house names and old addresses
Added in December 2016:
- even more linking of properties to the directories, censuses & valuation rolls
- map showing location of Wormit Bay Golf Course
- removed restriction displaying only the most recent 20 entries in Directory listings on Property Pages
Added in January 2017:
- just a few more linkings of properties to the directories, censuses & valuation rolls
More is to follow.
You can search across all the databases and all the individual pages on the site using the form below. It doesn't find dates or reference numbers, but will find almost anything else. Results are given as a number of 'finds', with a link to the actual entries.
We hope you find the site informative.
The site was created in 2001 with a small selection of information. This major upgrade was launched on St. Andrew's Day 2012.
William McM. Owen & Rujirek Vanavisut