Welcome to The Newport, Wormit & Forgan Archive
This site brings together some of the historical information about Newport-on-Tay, Wormit and Forgan in Fife, Scotland, which exists largely on paper and makes it searchable.
It has a few descriptive articles about specific topics in its blog - Jottings, for more you have to look in the published books, or on other linked websites. The personal anecdotes and old photos which make a local history come alive are much better catered for on the Old Newport on Tay Facebook page and Ian Lindsay's @postcard13 Twitter feed. Rather this site is a collection of the raw data, the nuts and bolts of history, which can be used to piece together some of Newport, Wormit & Forgan's past.
It can also be used as a starting point to trace the history of the houses: much of the information has been gathered together and can be seen by looking up a specific address, either old or new, or by using the properties map - although it must be said that this is very much "work in progress". On many of the entries in the Directories, Census and Valuation Rolls, following the link Location will lead on to a further page with information about the property concerned.
The blog, Jottings will have articles, background information, introductions and comments on local history, leaving the main site for the records themselves.
Of the many sources available, to date we have:
- Directories: the Newport & Wormit section of the Dundee Directories, and the Newport, Wormit & Forgan sections of national directories (e.g. Slater, Macdonald). All known directories from 1825 - 1974.
- Census 1841, 1851, 1861, 1871, 1881, 1891 and 1901. (The 1911 is available but is copyright and cannot be included here.)
- a list of house names and old addresses together with their present-day locations; and a few notes on some individual properties
- a list of old street names with their present-day equivalents
- a list of present-day streets and addresses which links to information about the properties; also shown on a map
- Valuation Rolls, 1855 - 1967
- Registers of Voters, 1833 - 1900
- names on the War Memorials
- Forgan Kirkyard - an introductory page, the stones - inscriptions and photos; a plan; and a list of burials from 1899 onwards (198 entries)
- A library with links to published histories and descriptions of the parish; plus pages missing from the internet copy of Neish's History of Newport...; the constitution of the Comerton Home; several articles on the History of Newport; and more.
- Maps: including - parish boundary, 19th century feuing areas, maps from Dundee Directories, properties map, and links to maps on other sites.
- Photo Galleries - three collections of photos of the Norwegain Air Force at Woodhaven 1942-45
- A list of local men who signed up as Special Constables, 1914 - 1920
- Notes on the Newport Town Council Minutes 1897 - 1962, with gaps
- Shareholders of the Wormit Electric Company, 1923 - 1929
- Sasines - notes and extracts from the land transaction records, 1782 - circa 1890
Some older material:
- the Hearth Tax list of 1692 - 1695
- the Old Parochial Registers of Baptisms, Forgan parish, 1695 - 1854
- the Old Parochial Registers of Marriages, Forgan parish, 1703 - 1855
- Mortcloth Payments, 1695 - 1835 (for records of deaths)
- Kirk Session Minutes (1695-1884) & Heritors' Records (1845-1921) - notes and extracts from them
- a link to an index of Births 1855 - 1874, & Marriages 1855 - 1875
- Ordnance Survey [Map] Name Books, 1854
You can begin to trace the history of your house, if it was built before 1967:
- if you know the name of a former head of the household, search the Directories or the Census.
- if you know its current address, search the present-day addresses
- if you know a house name or an old (pre-1964 address), search the house names and old addresses
Added in October 2019:
- Added: Vicarsford Cemetery - from a survey taken in 1992 - 1993:
- Vicarsford Cemetery - the stones
- Notes about the Cemetery
- Vicarsford plan
- Vicarsford name index
Added in May 2020:
- Added: Valuation Rolls: 1890-1, 1891-2, 1892-3, 1898-9 (Wormit only), 1909-10 (Wormit & part of West Newport only), 1910-11 (Wormit and part of West Newport only)
- Added to the Library:
- History of the Church in Forgan Parish, Rev. A P Bogie, 1974
More is to follow.
You can search across all the databases and all the individual pages on the site, except for the blog (which has its own search facility), using the form below. It doesn't find dates or reference numbers, but will find almost anything else. Results are given as a number of 'finds', with a link to the actual entries.
We hope you find the site informative.
The site was created in 2001 with a small selection of information. This major upgrade was launched on St. Andrew's Day 2012.
William McM. Owen & Rujirek Vanavisut