Feuing Areas & Estates - 19th century
The map can be panned (moved) and zoomed (enlarged) by using the controls, or using the mouse.
This map shows boundaries as they were in the late 19th century. Present-day boundaries will be different, as will earlier ones.
When the estate owners feued out land for building in the 19th and early 20th centuries they created named areas which were then further subdivided into lots, usually numbered. These areas and lot numbers were used to fix the location of the property. The area names are frequently used as the only address in early directories and valuation rolls.
This map shows the largest of these feuing areas. Some parts of the village did not follow this procedure - the houses in Myrtle Terrace and Struan Place, for example. Also, the original inhabited area around the piers and the present High Street which was simply referred to as 'Newport'.
|Northfield||Only one house, Taygrove, was built on this area (1863).|
|Craighead||Developed from the 1850s, most growth in 1860s - 1870s.|
|East Newport||A few properties developed in the 1850s to 1860s, but most building was in the 1870s and 1880s.|
|Marytown or Maryton||Developed from the 1820s on.|
|Backfield Park (south of Maryton)||Mostly developed 1860s - 1870s, but a few houses were built earlier.|
|St Phillans||Developed largely during the 1850s to 1870s.|
|Kilnburn Field||Developed in the 1870s - 1880s.|
|Youngsdale Field or Smithy Park||Built from the 1870s onwards.|
|East Newport miscellaneous plots||Built at various dates.|
|Broadhaugh||Many properties built in the 1820s, with smaller numbers appearing up to the 1870s.|
|Woodmuir||Building started along the main road in the 1850s, then up the hill in the 1860s to 1880s.|
|Wellgate||Following the Castle (1813), houses along the main road were built up to the 1860s, then further up the hill through the 1870s and 1880s.|
|West Newport miscellaneous plots||Built at various dates.|
|Woodhaven||On St. Fort estate, extent limited only by the estate boundaries (shown in black). The original settlement was around the harbour and the farm, all houses belonging to the estate. Development of newer houses along the main road took place throughout the 1890s.|
|Wormit||On Birkhill estate, extent limited only by the estate boundaries (shown in black). Apart from the farms of Scroggieside and Wormit, there were no houses here until the first railway bridge was built. A few properties were built following the construction of the first bridge (1878 - 1879), but growth was rapid after the second bridge was completed. Most building was in the 1890s - 1910s.|
|Newton||On estate of Newton, extent limited only by the estate boundaries (shown in black). Much later to be developed, from the 1900s to 1920s.|
|Landward miscellaneous plots||Built at various dates.|
- Sasine Abridgements, Fife, 1782 - 1890
- Map of Newton, [1806-1821], RHP 6100/15