Stones and Inscriptions recorded in 1992 - 1993
Vicarsford Cemetery was opened in August 1894 to serve the Parish of Forgan and Burgh of Newport after the kirkyard at Forgan (half a mile to the east) was full.
= Forgan Kirkyard
= Vicarsford Cemetery
Forgan Kirkyard had been in use for several centuries, but by 1883 the Heritors & Parochial Board were seeking additional space - either by extending the existing kirkyard or by choosing another site. Space was so limited, that some Forgan inhabitants bought lairs in Ferryport-on-Craig Cemetery (in Tayport) which opened in 1887. After much searching and argument, land was eventually purchased (actually in Leuchars parish) and Vicarsford Cemetery, half a mile west of the existing kirkyard, was opened in August 1894. It is believed that no new lairs were created at Forgan although existing lairs continued to be used.
- This cemetery is still in use and burials take place regularly.
- Headstones are constantly being added and updated.
- This survey was undertaken between July 1992 and August 1993.
- Since then, many new stones have been added.
- The information on these pages is a snapshot taken at that time with a few more recent additions.
- The information is given as a set of extracted notes, full inscriptions have not been noted.
- There are a few photographs only. Where photographs exist, the full inscription is given.
- The stone numbers were originally in sequence but the additions have changed that. Numbers given here are used on this site only and nowhere else.
- The Section Letters and Lair Numbers are original.
The Leng Memorial Chapel
The memorial chapel was constructed between 1895 and 1897 by local architect Thomas Martin Cappon for the Leng family and in particular as a memorial for Lady Leng. The chapel is based largely on La Saint Chappelle in Paris although on a smaller scale. The chapel is not a regular place of worship and is in fact non-denominational.
Canmore page (National Record of the Historic Environment, Scotland)