Map of Place Names & Old Places in Forgan Parish
The Place-names of Fife is a study by Simon Taylor and Gilbert Markus of the University of Glasgow. It has been published in 5 volumes of which vol. 4 includes Forgan parish. For each place name the meaning of the name is given, plus extensive early source references. The information has been published on the Glasgow University study page and this map has been created from that data.
This map also shows some other local old names, not included in the Glasgow survey, and some (at present) unlocated local names.
Clicking on the place name or the map marker will highlight the location on the map, which can then be clicked to bring up links to the Glasgow study pages and the pages on this site.
Names in the Glasgow Survey: • Baledmond Bogearn Boulterhall Burnside Byrehills Camp Wood Castle Hill Cauldhame Causewayhead Chesterhill Cow’s Hole Craig Head Drybrae Scalp Easter Friarton Esky Loch Flass Forgan Friarton Gateside Gowrie Hill Greenside Inverdovat Kempstane Kirkton Kirkton Barns Kirktonbarns Law Knock Hill Laverock Law Lawhouses Leightonslands Links Wood Long Craig Lundin Burn Melcrether Morendy Morton Motray Water Muttonhole Wood Myreside Naughton (in Balmerino parish from 1650) Newport-on-Tay Newton Ninewells Northfield Pilkenbare Ploughlands Of St Fort Pluck The Crow Poachers’ Clump Priorinch Roseberry Roseberry Hill Ryhinche Scroggieside Sea Mills Seggieden Sheirsland Slatemuir St Fort Swanlyloch Tayfield Tremblayslands Washer Willy’s Wester Friarton Woodhaven Wormit Wormit Hill
Other old local names: • Ford Cotton (Forefield) Harlowshiels Hays Mill Mountmerrygog Sunny Braes the Waterside (East Water) the Waterside (Midwaterside) the Waterside (West Water) Vesselhills White Mire