ViewLogo

The Newport, Wormit & Forgan Archive

Location : Tayside Cottages [NE],  Boat Road

Historic Property ImageStreet View Image

Photo / old map: Image Courtesy of the University of St Andrews Library, ID JV-972

= Property demolished or site redeveloped

Notes:      Demolished. [some early entries still to be confirmed]

 

Introduction

Demolished 1881 to make way for Trinity Church.

 

Location and Old Maps

Latitude, longitude:      56.438822,-2.942426

View location on the 1855 6-inch map, the 1895 25-inch map, the 1914 25-inch map, the 1966 25-inch map, or a 1944-50 aerial photograph at the National Library of Scotland website.

Nearby properties (demolished in red):   (formerly stores, 7, Boat Road)   (formerly garages & workshop, 9, Boat Road)   (old St David's Inn, Boat Road)   (part of old St David's Inn, Boat Road)   (Tayside Cottages [mid], Boat Road)   (Tayside Cottages [SW], Boat Road)   (Smithy, formerly 9, Granary Lane)   (Chapel House [1], High Road)   (part of Chapel House [2], High Road)   (part of Chapel House [3], High Road)   Newport Hotel, 1, High Street   Trinity UF Church, 2, High Street   office at front, 6, High Street   (cottage south of 4, High Street)   (the Waterside (East Water), Old Places)  

Later use of the site :   Trinity UF Church     

 

Old Addresses (any dates are approximate and are usually the latest occurence of the address)

-

 

House Names (any dates are approximate and are usually the latest occurence of the name)

Tayfield Cothouse 1 1861
Tayside 1871
Tayside Cottages [NE] pre 1881

 

 

Directory entries (before 1972)

-

 

Census records

YearHead Notes
1881 McPherson Margaret View household
1871 Wood Elizabeth View household
1861 Hunter David View household
1851 Kidd Isabella View household

 

 

Valuation Roll entries

YearNo.PropertyProprietorTenantOccupierValue
1860-6166House John Berry of Tayfield David Hunter, labourer 5View details

 

 

Other Sightings:

YearDetailSource
1825 Building shown on map: Ref. 1, Old Boatmen's Houses National Library of Scotland, Plan of the coast from Newport to Craighead, 1824-25, John Steedman
1821 Building shown on map: Ref. 2 - dwelling house, owner William Berry, occupier Andrew Brown; ground between it and the river marked 'garden belonging to inn' University of Dundee Archives, report & plans for new ferry harbours, 1821, Telford

 

Early Sasines:

-

 

Return to:     Home Page   Present-day Addresses    Properties Map    Old House Names     Directories    Valuation Rolls    Sasines    Census