ViewLogo

The Newport, Wormit & Forgan Archive

Location : the Waterside (West Water) (Old Places)

Street View Image

= Property demolished or site redeveloped

Notes:      general location only

 

Commentary

The Waterside was the general name for the cottages strung along the coast from Newport (East Water) to Woodhaven (West Water). 'East' and 'West' stop being used as names in the early 1770s. 'Betwixt the Waters' and 'Midwaterside' are commonly used from the 1790s for the general areas of Broadhaugh and Woodend (along West Road).

 

Location and Old Maps

Latitude, longitude:      56.431075,-2.963997

View location on the 1855 6-inch map, the 1895 25-inch map, the 1914 25-inch map, the 1966 25-inch map, or a 1944-50 aerial photograph at the National Library of Scotland website.

Nearby properties (demolished in red):   7 Mars Gardens   8 Mars Gardens   9 Mars Gardens   10 Mars Gardens   11 Mars Gardens   12 Mars Gardens   Woodhaven Farmhouse, 92, Riverside Road   front part of Woodhaven Farmhouse, 92, Riverside Road   (Woodhaven Farm Bothy, Riverside Road)   7 Woodhaven Terrace   8 Woodhaven Terrace   part of 7, Woodhaven Terrace   part of 8, Woodhaven Terrace  

 

Other Names / Spellings

the Waterside
West Water
West Waterside

 

 

Sightings:

YearDetailSource
1722 in Forgan Baptisms 1722 - 1771 (West Waterside), and 1719-1820s (Waterside) although this is likely to be Newport rather than Woodhaven OPR Baptisms, Forgan parish

 

Early Sasines:

-

 

Return to:     Home Page   Present-day Addresses    Properties Map    Old House Names     Directories    Valuation Rolls    Sasines    Census