ViewLogo

The Newport, Wormit & Forgan Archive

Location : the Waterside (Midwaterside) (Old Places)

Street View Image

= Property demolished or site redeveloped

Notes:      general location only

 

Commentary

The Waterside was the general name for the cottages strung along the coast from Newport (East Water) to Woodhaven (West Water). 'East' and 'West' stop being used as names in the early 1770s. 'Betwixt the Waters' and 'Midwaterside' are commonly used from the 1790s for the general areas of Broadhaugh and Woodend (along West Road).

 

Location and Old Maps

Latitude, longitude:      56.434772, -2.950171

View location on the 1855 6-inch map, the 1895 25-inch map, the 1914 25-inch map, the 1966 25-inch map, or a 1944-50 aerial photograph at the National Library of Scotland website.

Nearby properties (demolished in red):   13 West Road   15 West Road   17 West Road   28 West Road   30 West Road   32 West Road   34 West Road   36 West Road   38 West Road   40 West Road   42 West Road   (River House [1], West Road)   (River House [2], West Road)   (River House [3], West Road)  

 

Other Names / Spellings

betwixt the Waters
Midwaterside
the Waterside

 

 

Sightings:

YearDetailSource
1793 in Forgan Baptisms 1793 (betwixt the Waters) - 1833 (Mid Waterside) OPR Baptisms, Forgan parish

 

Early Sasines:

-

 

Return to:     Home Page   Present-day Addresses    Properties Map    Old House Names     Directories    Valuation Rolls    Sasines    Census